Sunday 15 July 2007

Venison with Red Onion & Cherry 'Chutney'

venison cherry chutney
Yes, I did bake this week. I made these Carrot, Apple & Honey Muffins from Baking Bites. But I didn't make many modifications to the recipe (except for my usual conversion to metric), so I'm not going to repeat it here. They're very good. Although I might up the amount of carrots next time.
So, what goodies did I make that I consider worth sharing? Well, tonight's dinner was venison steaks with new potatoes, baby corn and a red onion and cherry chutney. Now, normally I make this recipe with cranberries (so it's normally a red onion and cranberry chutney), but this week I couldn't get any. So I had to improvise, and instead of the frozen cranberries I got frozen cherries. I was a bit worried about whether it would turn out, but I needn't have been. It seemed to meet with approval, so here it is. While I served it with venison, it would probably go quite well with duck.

Recipe:
150g frozen cranberries or cherries
1/2 green chilli, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 red onion, chopped
50 ml red wine
100 ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander

Place all ingredients in a pan. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and the liquid reduced.

No comments: