Sunday 23 September 2007

Bere Bannocks

bere bannocks
After my two attempts at making beer bread with my stash of beremeal, I thought it time to try something more traditional. When I picked up the flour, it came with a bunch of recipes, so I picked out one of the ones for bannocks, and went with that.
The recipe calls for the bannocks to be baked on a girdle, or griddle. I remember my gran having one of these. This is not the same as the ridged grill pan which is more normally meant by a griddle. A girdle is large, heavy, round or square, and completely flat. However, not having one of these, I substituted a non-stick frying pan. It seemed to work.

Recipe:
70 grams bere meal
70 grams self-raising flour
1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 rounded teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Water, approximately 150ml

Mix the beremeal, flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl.
Lightly oil the griddle or frying pan and place over a lowish heat. You want it to be hot by the time the dough is ready to be baked.
Make a well in the middle and add the oil.
Gradually add enough water to make into a soft dough - you may need less or more depending on your flour.
Turn onto a floured surface and shape into a round, approximately 3/4 inch thick.
Place on the griddle and bake for between 5 and 10 minutes a side over a medium heat.

No comments: