Sunday 11 November 2007

Pumpkin Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins


It's been a long time since I updated this blog. I have been cooking, it's just that I just never seemed to manage to post it.
With Hallowe'en just passed, I realised that I've never cooked with pumpkin. I haven't even used one to make a pumpkin lantern. Well, here is Scotland, when i was a girl, we didn't use pumpking for lanterns, we used turnips. Anyway, in the supermarked last week, when I saw a lonely little edible pumpkin, I thought I should take it home and make something out of it.
So I did. I browsed my cookbooks, a number of blogs, and a couple of fod magazine sites, before settling on this recipe for a pumpkin, poppy seed and lemon loaf from Delicious magazine.

I didn't actually bake it as a loaf, I made individual muffins. The full recipe made 12. I cut down the sugar a tiny bit - 125g instead of 150g, and they were still sweet enough for me. I didn't need all of the milk - only 2 tablespoons instead of the 4 called for. This may have been because the pumpkin was quite watery. If I do this again (and as there's three-quarters of the pumpkin left, there will be at least one more sweet and one savoury recipe made) I'd probably cook the pureed pumpkin down a bit to get rid of the liquid.

1 comment:

KellytheCulinarian said...

What a great combination. Sounds awesome.